The Bureau requests the job opening for one City Medical Specialist IV Part-Time job title position. The mission of the Bureau of Tuberculosis Control (BTBC) is to prevent the spread of tuberculosis (TB) and eliminate it as a public health problem in New York City. The BTBC goals are: 1. To identify all individuals with suspected or confirmed TB disease and ensure their appropriate treatment, identify on a regimen of directly observed therapy. 2. To ensure that individuals who are at high risk for progression from latent infection to active disease (e.g., contacts of active cases, immunocompromised individuals, recent immigrants from areas where TB is widespread) receive treatment for latent TB infection and do not develop disease.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
* Performing histories and physicals, evaluating laboratory and microbiologic data and x-rays and other radiological studies to determine if a patient needs treatment for tuberculosis disease or infection.
* Supervising or formulating treatments and interventions, including complex regimens for patients with drug resistant and multidrug resistant TB.
* Monitoring and ensuring patient compliance during treatment.
* Participating in the implementation of patient care protocols in the care and treatment of latent TB infection or active TB disease in the BTBC chest centers.
* Overseeing work of other City Medical Specialists, health care providers and BTBC staff in the evaluation and treatment of tuberculosis.
* Becoming an integral member of the case management team, performing systematic reviews of patient case and contact investigation.
* Participating in contact investigation and evaluating clients for disease or preventative therapy.
* Acting as a consultant to community doctors and other health care providers in all aspects of tuberculosis.
* Attending conferences, symposiums, seminars, and meetings as appropriate.
* Writing standard and special reports as assigned.
* Participating in agency wide emergency response activities.
a) A valid license to practice medicine in the State of New York; and b) Completion of an approved residency program in an accredited hospital, including three years of experience, in either internal medicine, or family practice, or pediatrics, or another related specialty area required by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; and c) Valid board certification or board eligibility issued by the appropriate American Subspecialty Board in Infectious Disease, Pulmonary Medicine, or a related subspecialty; and d) Completion of an approved fellowship program in an accredited hospital, including two years of experience, in either infectious diseases, or pulmonary medicine, or another related subspecialty required by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
1. Supervisory experience 2. Knowledge of Public Health 3. Good computer skills and basic knowledge of Microsoft 4. Strong Inter-personal skills. 5. Board certification in pulmonary or infectious disease with specialty in internal medicine or pediatrics or family practice medicine. 6. English/Chinese (all dialects) and/or English/Spanish or any other second language would be considered. 7. Must be willing to work every other Saturday.
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID # 398191.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Internal Number: 398191
About NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
The New York City Health Department is known around the world as a center of bold innovation. With over 200 years of leadership in the field, we're also one of our nation's oldest public health agencies. The challenges we face range from obesity, diabetes and heart disease to HIV/AIDS, tobacco addiction and substance abuse, and the threat of bioterrorism. We're tackling these issues with innovative policies and programs – and getting exceptional results – but our work is never finished. Your NYC Health career brings big responsibilities and unparalleled opportunities for growth.